Located opposite Muncaster Castle and the village of Ravenglass which lie on the north bank of the Esk. It is well known for its Cumberland sausages.
Waberthwaite is a small rural former civil parish (about 4 square miles in area) on the south bank of the estuary of the River Esk, in Copeland, Cumbria, England. Since 1934 it has been part of the combined parish of Waberthwaite and Corney, which covers 10 square miles and has a population of 246 (2011 census). It is located opposite Muncaster Castle and the village of Ravenglass which lie on the north bank of the Esk. It is well known for its Cumberland sausages, and lists among its other assets a granite quarry that is a Site of Special Scientific Interest .
Richard Woodhall of Wabethwaite was founded in 1828 and was one of the oldest family run businesses in the country. The family have been producting pork products for eight generations.
The Company supplied the royal household with a large range of hams, bacon and sausages as well as a huge number of national retailers including, Harrods, Selfridges. The shop is still open till this day but on a smaller scale.
Bootle is recorded in the Domesday Book and was granted a market charter in 1347, it is said to be the smallest market town in England. The Byre café on the road site of Bottle is very popular with locals and tourists and has a lovely country kitchen feel to it. Their large selection of delicious deserts are locally desired, try their sumptuous afternoon tea that won’t disappoint.
Bootle station is just over 1 mile away and has a lovely beach which is popular with locals for fishing and walking.
The railway station is situated on the Cumbrian coast and links Whitehaven and Barrow in Furness. It’s a beautiful stretch of coastline.
Corney is a small settlement next to the mighty Black Combe which many locals say is the best place to see the 5 kingdoms of the UK, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Man. It is situated near the A595 road, in the civil parish of Waberthwaite and Corney and it is located north east of Bootle and is 10 miles north of Millom. The name is well known to travellers who take the fell road from Duddon Bridge to Ravenglass, as this route is known as the “Corney Fell Road”. It is possible to see the Isle of Man, North Wales and parts of Scotland from Corney on a clear day.
Located in Corney is the swinside stone circle, This is a famous monument in a dramatic location, surrounded by mountains. The main circle has 38 large stones, some standing 3 metres (10 feet) high. The entrance seems to line up with the midwinter sunset. It’s one of Britain’s earliest stone circles, about 5,000 years old, and has been officially protected since 1883. However it gets so many visitors that conservation is an ever-present concern! Managed by the National Trust and English Heritage.