These three small villages lie on Cumbria’s West Coast and are home to several listed buildings.
Moresby Hall, South of Lowca is a former manor house overlooking the Cumbrian fells. Inhabited by nobles since the 12th century it is a grade 1 listed building and has been cited as being one of the most important buildings in Cumbria. With a rich family history of English royalty, fighting in the Battle of Agincourt and being Knighted by King Henry and others being executed by Henry V111, along with Anne Boleyn this is a place of much history. The hall is reportedly haunted with many skeletal remains being found in various locations including the chimney and under the floorboards. It has now been turned into a thriving Bed and Breakfast and self catering establishment by its current owners.
Sited on a former Roman camp known as Gabrocentum is the parish church of St Bridgets. Dating back to the 16th century it counts William Wordsworth’s brother John as it’s former clergy. With an ancient chancel arch standing in the churchyard there is evidence of a much earlier place of worship being here.
Rosehill Theatre, Moresby, built in 1959, has hosted such stars as Peggy Ashcroft, Yehudi Menuhin and Benjamin Britten. Today it still produces high class performers and performances, offering a diverse range of arts and entertainment in an exceptional setting.
Nearby Lowca, formally a mining area, is now noted for its wind farms but has a history dating right back to Roman times.
Parton, overlooking the Solway Firth, was once a busy port and mining area. Today there is a railway station on the Cumbrian Coastal Line and a large, mainly pebble, beach. Although at low tide a large area of sand is exposed.