Sitting on the road that leads from Whitehaven to Egremont, Bigrigg melds into the surrounding farmland.
Bigrigg Moor, watered by the River Ehen, was, at one time, surrounded by forest. Deep hollows in the area attest to iron ore mining as far back as medieval times. Bigrigg’s calcite deposits were considered to be of the highest quality. By 1829, there were three different companies mining eight pits in the area. Iron ore mining continued to expand from this time. Further encouragement for mining resulted when the railway was constructed from Whitehaven to Cleator Moor in the late 1850’s. In 1924 a mine disaster at the Croft Pit Bigrigg trapped 10 men for 28 hours before they were rescued. The mines were all closed by 1932.
Currently there is a petrol station and one pub that services the 1200 local people.